Thank you for your interest in TEAK’s Mentor Program. The next opportunity to become a Mentor is in 2016. At that time, prospective Mentors must attend an information session to be considered for the program. For questions or to request additional information, please contact Vanessa Greer at email@example.com or (212) 288-6678 x120.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Information Session Schedule
- Mentor applications will be distributed at the information sessions
- Mentor matches are made in late spring, with the official “Matching Ceremony” taking place in late September
What are the expectations of the Mentor?
Mentors must have a college degree, in alignment with the organization's goal of higher education for its students
Each Mentor should see his/her student at least three times during the year and contact their student at least once a month via email or phone
Mentors should commit to maintaining the relationship with their student throughout high school
- TEAK asks that Mentors incur the costs of any events or excursions that they choose to participate in with their student
- TEAK organizes various Mentor/Mentee outings and events throughout the year. Some examples of previous outings include:
- Game Nights
- Museum visits
- Big Apple Circus trip
- Basketball and Baseball games
- Mentors should obtain permission from parents for all outings
What are the expectations of the student?
Open and consistent communication with his/her Mentor
Punctuality and politeness
Fellows should not expect or ask for gifts from their Mentors
- Willingness to try new things
What are the expectations of the Parent or Guardian?
Parents must attend the first meeting between Mentors and Fellows (the Mentor/Fellow Match Day). The relationship cannot begin unless the parent approves the match.
Parents must sanction all outings with the Mentor
- Parents should communicate with TEAK staff and the Mentor if there are any concerns regarding the relationship
What are some common Mentor/Fellow activities?