Thank you for your interest in TEAK’s Mentor Program. The next opportunity to become a Mentor is in 2013. At that time, prospective Mentors must attend an information session to be considered for the program. For questions or to request additional information, please contact Dan Blednick at firstname.lastname@example.org or (212) 288-6678 x112.
Click here to see a list of current mentors.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the timeline for getting involved as a TEAK Mentor?
- Information sessions are held each year in late spring. Mentor applications will be distributed at these information sessions.
Prospective Mentors who submit applications will be invited to attend a Visitors’ Day at the TEAK Summer Institute in July. Prospective Mentors will have a chance to observe a class, and speak with TEAK Fellows.
- Mentor matches are made in late August, with the official “Matching Ceremony” taking place in late September.
What are the expectations of the Mentor?
Mentors must have a college degree, in alignment with the organization's goal of higher education for its students.
Each Mentor should see his/her student at least three times during the year and contact their student at least once a month via email or phone.
Mentors should commit to maintaining the relationship with their student throughout high school.
TEAK asks that Mentors incur the costs of any events or excursions that they choose to participate in with their student.
- Mentors should obtain permission from parents for all outings.
What are the expectations of the student?
Open and consistent communication with his/her Mentor.
Punctuality and politeness.
Fellows should not expect or ask for gifts from their Mentors.
- Willingness to try new things.
What are the expectations of the Parent or Guardian?
Parents must attend the first meeting between Mentors and Fellows (the Mentor/Fellow Match Day). The relationship cannot begin unless the parent approves the match.
Parents must sanction all outings with the Mentor.
- Parents should communicate with TEAK staff and the Mentor if there are any concerns regarding the relationship.
What are some common Mentor/Fellow activities?